Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Natividad

Valerie G.
Period 2
May 11, 2012 

Natividad



My image is of my great grandfather Natividad De La Rosa. My grandpa was a man I will always remember, and because he is the best man I will ever meet, I’m great full for having him in my life. I’ve heard many stories about him but the most interesting story I’ve heard was that he was a professional baseball player in Juarez, Chihuahua.

The story goes that my grandpa was pitcher in the team and he loved the game. Back in the 1930’s playing pro in baseball obviously didn’t pay much but what I’ve been told money didn’t matter to him it was all for the love of the game. Traveling city to city playing game after game they created an audience. At one game in the crowd was one special girl that caught my grandpa’s eyes, my great grandmother. I don’t remember how it happened but soon enough they got married. My grandfather by then was out of the league.

Even though, he left the league he still went back after having six kids, this time not pro. My uncle and grandma tell me that they would see him play all the time. This influenced my uncles to play baseball. All my uncles down to my cousins and my brother play the game all because of my grandfather. I believe they all got the love of the game from him. Every time, till this day when we have family gathering’s there is always a glove, a bat, and a ball to play.

         In Mexico, baseball started “for as much joy and optimism brought by the historic development of the Mexican League in the 1920s, and momentum that followed through the 1930s”(Sanchez). It wasn’t as popular in Mexico as it was in America. “During the 1940s, Jorge Pasquel tried to fill the void by attempting and eventually failing to turn the Mexican Leagues into a mirror image of its Major League”(Sanchez). Mexico tried to in a way copy American baseball to help them with a league of their own. Jorge Pasquel died and so did his dreams of the Mexican leagues. Soon after his death he dreams came true and there was a major league in Mexico.


                             
               Baseball player or Superhero
He had love for the game but more love for saving lives. Baseball player by day, and superhero by night. With balls of fire and a bat of steel, he fights crime after playing a nine-inning game.

Games from left to right and crime everywhere he turned. One special game, there was one special girl(My Grandmother). After winning his playoff game he went looking for the girl but she wasn’t there. Disappointed he walked to the locker, grabbed his things and headed home.

            On his way to the car he sees the girls. Surprised, he goes towards her then on the 

corner of his eyes watches a man creep up behind her trying to kidnap her. My grandfather 

runs towards them, throwing a ball of fire at the guy. As the man was on fire, he grabs the girl 

takes her to safety and goes back to handle his business.

Hitting the guy with his steel bat so hard that he sent him back to wherever the horrible man came from.

          After fighting his battle, my grandfather went back to the beautiful girl to see if she was okay. The girl thinking of a way to try to repay the man for saving her life so he asked her out on a date and she accepted. Ever since that date they lived happily ever after
.


             Works Citied

          Sanchez, Jesse. History of Baseball in Mexico. MLB. Monterry, Mexico. 2004. April 03,2012. Wed.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment