Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My Grandpa's Story

Jason T
Period 1
April 27, 2012



My Grandpa's Story 

                  Filiberto Lavarreda Ovando is my grandpa. He was born in Tumbor San Marcos, Guatemala in the year 1938. He was a mix of German and Spanish.  Growing up he was one of eight brothers in his family. From what is known about his childhood he was part of a very loving, caring, united family and adored by everyone. Something special about my grandpa and his family is his last name Lavarreda because only one family shares this last name meaning anyone with this last name is related.

           From stories I heard my grandpa was very friendly and helpful. A quality of my grandpa that was known was that he was an honest man always true to his word. Later on in his life was a caring father with a strict attitude at times. His body type wasn’t anything special he was average height maybe 5’6” around there with white skin. Another story I heard of my grandpa was he like to eat exotic things like snakes could be an example. Somehow even with eating exotic things he was said to be a very healthy man never got sick. Besides eating exotic things he also liked riding horses, swimming, sports, and was really into classic cars. Education wise there isn’t much known besides that he graduated high school with honors then went to college and also got diplomas for having excellent writing.

            Once my grandpa got older he was drafted into the army of Guatemala at eighteen but this wasn’t because he wanted to back then it was forced upon all 18 year old males to be drafted. Even though he was drafted he was never put in action from what is known he served his time and got out. Around this time was when the Civil War of Guatemala was going on and that lasted for 30 years. Unfortunately my  grandpa didn’t live past the civil war. During this time it was difficult to find a job but when he did he worked for the government. In the department of making sure money was collected and that it got to its destination. He also manage a finca which from what I was told translate to a ranch owned by the government. In this time he was approached by people who wanted to steal money from the government. He was offered to help them but my grandpa refused. Even though he refused he said he wouldn’t speak a word of this to anybody he just didn’t want a part of it but that wasn’t enough and he knew it. Once he had the feeling something bad was going to happen he informed my grandma about the situation so she would know he could possibly be killed. Sadly that’s what happened he was killed and when his body was found he was marked as unknown pretty much meaning no one knew who he was. Eventually my grandma saw this on the news and went to recover the body to give my grandpa a proper burial in his hometown where he was born. He died at the age of twenty six but in that time he had three daughters with my grandma. Also had two affairs that ended up giving him another daughter and son my grandpa was known to be a womanizer. Shortly before he died in regards to the civil war of Guatemala in “1970 - Military-backed Carlos Arana was elected president, and he immediately placed the country under a state of siege, giving the military more control over civilians. For the next decade, a series of military-dominated governments escalated violence against guerilla groups and indigenous communities”(PBS). Another thing my grandpa lived past was the even in “1966 - Civilian rule restored; Cesar Mendez elected president”(BBC). Even though my grandpa died young he still lived in a time of major events for Guatemala.

           Besides my grandpa being a womanizer and dying at a very young age I believe he was a great person at heart who I wish I would have had the pleasure to meet I don’t believe my grandpa deserved the fate he got  but regardless may grandpa’s soul continue to rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment