Friday, May 20, 2011

Why Do They Lead Us On?


Raquel F.
Period 4, English
April 21, 2011

Why Do They Lead Us On?
            Most of us have applied to a job or multiple jobs, and yet most of us don’t hold a job. Why do companies do that to us? Why do they bring our hopes up for nothing?
            Do companies really have to get your hopes up for nothing? We hand these people a resume that should tell them all they have to know about us, and if we are capable of holding this job. We as students know what jobs we can hold or what jobs we have a chance of getting. Applying to these types of jobs, such as fast food restaurants or clothing stores should be easy and should not require a major requirements system and no processing or no calls for interviews. They should just call you on a first serve basis, this would save both time and save the hurt people get when they don’t get a job. They bring their hopes up and start planning things because they are sure that they are going to get the job. When they realize they aren’t going to get the job they get sad because what they planned can’t be done anymore.
            Having applied to many jobs in the past I know the frustration and the nervousness you get when trying to get the job. My very first time was when I applied to Guess. They had called me less than a week after I had turned in my application and gave me a job interview with another five people tying to get that same job. How is one to compete when you have people with work experience and us young people are unskilled? And yet they see you don’t have a chance of getting the job and they still have the nerve to say they will call you in a couple of weeks. It never seems to bring you too down. You always see the same people trying to find a job and never stop because there are always job opportunities. The process would be a lot better and more efficient if the companies would be a lot more easy going and less strict on work experience, because some of us have never held a job in our lives. For this to change we need to stand up and protest the way of getting jobs, the fear of no one feeling the way we feel changes us and doesn’t allow us to stand up and do something about it.
            I don’t let these bad experiences discourage me; I just shake it off and keep going. I would like to start a change in the way they hire people but I also let the fear of being different get in the way and change my real views into the social views of everyone else. I hope one day I can change the companies’ way of hiring, but until then I and everyone else will have to deal with this and just make the best out of it.

1 comment:

  1. One thing you need to take into consideration is the job market. As an employer most people would chose to hire a 30 year old with 6 years experience, who probably has more bills and obligations, over a 17 year old. Offer a counter argument to this. Why would an employer chose you? Discuss the benefits of hiring a young high school student vs an older applicant?

    Also, discuss further your own experiences. Were the applications difficult to fill out? What was the interview like?

    ReplyDelete