Wednesday, April 18, 2012

My Uncle and The Los Angeles Riot of 1992

Alex M.
Period 2
April 18, 2012





       My uncle was a young wild kid who would always get in trouble everyday. He would always start fights and he would end up badly beaten up. He used to live in south central with his older brothers. They would all get chased by groups of people around the whole city. Luckily he didn’t get caught in one of those groups or he might even been killed. Then in the news they heard about Rodney King getting beat up bad by the LAPD officers. They all joined with some group of people to start a riot. They would start burning up business. “There were a lot of innocent victims killed 50 people killed, 4 thousand injured, 1200 people arrested, and 1 billion in property damage” (Delk). My uncle was crazy during the riot, he would burn things and throw rocks to the police. I thought he was a dangerous person when he told me but I knew he was doing it for freedom and respect. There would be fights everywhere and killing everyday. My uncle was close to death he was stabbed in the stomach. His brothers took him to the hospital quickly. “I’m not afraid of death” said my uncle so everyone thought he was going to die. After he recovered from his injury my uncle went back to the riot and started to do crazy things again. “I won’t stop until racism stops” my uncle said. “For the next three days violence and mayhem continued” (Delk). “Mayor Tom Bradley imposed curfew, schools, and businesses were closed” (Delk).It was one of the dangerous riot in history. After the riot and everything had past my uncle became a history teacher and tells his students of those days.


Delk, James D. Fires and Furies: The Los Angeles Riots of 1992.
Palm Springs: ETC Publications, 1995

No comments:

Post a Comment