Thursday, April 5, 2012

Natividad De La Rosa Damiani


   Valerie G.
      03/19/12   

  Natividad De La Rosa Damiani

My image is of my great grandfather Natividad De La Rosa. My grandpa was a man I will always remember, and because he is the best man I will ever meet, I’m great full for having him in my life. I’ve heard many stories about him but the most interesting story I’ve heard was that he was a professional baseball player in Juarez, Chihuahua.

The story goes that my grandpa was pitcher in the team and he loved the game. Back in the 1930’s playing pro in baseball obviously didn’t pay much but what I’ve been told money didn’t matter to him it was all for the love of the game. Traveling city to city playing game after game they created an audience. At one game in the crowd was one special girl that caught my grandpa’s eyes, my great grandmother. I don’t remember how it happened but soon enough they got married. My grandfather by then was out of the league.

Even though, he left the league he still went back after having six kids, this time not pro. My uncle and grandma tell me that they would see him play all the time. This influenced my uncles to play baseball. All my uncles down to my cousins and my brother play the game all because of my grandfather. I believe they all got the love of the game from him. Every time, till this day when we have family gathering’s there is always a glove, a bat, and a ball to play.

     In Mexico, baseball started “for as much joy and optimism brought by the historic development of the Mexican League in the 1920s, and momentum that followed through the 1930s”. It wasn’t as popular in Mexico as it was in America. “During the 1940s, Jorge Pasquel tried to fill the void by attempting and eventually failing to turn the Mexican Leagues into a mirror image of its Major League”. Mexico tried to in a way copy American baseball to help them with a league of their own. Jorge Pasquel died and so did his dreams of the Mexican leagues. Soon after his death…

No comments:

Post a Comment