Thursday, June 16, 2011

Breast Cancer


Jazmin .
Per.2

Breast Cancer


Some students don’t really appreciate their parents. We rebel, disobey, talk back, and get them angry. Students usually say they hate their parents for the smallest reasons. But once a parent’s health is in jeopardy, students realize that they don’t hate their parents and slowly appreciate them.
            On February 1st. 2011 my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. I was shocked when she told me. I was speechless; all I could do was hug her. Late that night all I was able to do is think. I couldn’t sleep at all. I was unable to speak to her because I was afraid of saying the wrong thing. I wanted to ask her what the doctors told her but I was afraid to know the truth. That fear kept stopping me from knowing the truth. Every time I tried to speak to my mom the words wouldn’t come out.  Every morning my mom would wake me to let me know that she will be at the hospital. She had to go often for more testing and for the chemotherapy. My little sister and I would be at my house alone every morning. It would sadden me when she would wake up crying, looking for her.  Ever since we received the news, I started to realize that slowly things began to change at home.  My mom had to kick out my little sister from their room and put her into mine. My little sister didn’t want to sleep in my room but my mom ended up telling her why she couldn’t sleep in her room anymore. My little sister, Angelie is only 3 years old; surprisingly she understood what my mom told her, why she couldn’t sleep with them any more.  My mom told her in a way she would understand. Angelie got used to sleeping with me and I got used to her sleeping by my side. Once I came to school I tried not to wake my little sister but she would manage to wake up right before I’m about to walk out of the house and she would yell out to me “ Jazmin, wait don’t leave, I don’t want you to leave me!” I felt like I was her mother, hearing those words. Every morning she would wake up and try to stop me from coming to school so I can stay with her.

I took responsibility and began doing the tasks that my mom used to do such as cleaning the house, washing dishes and sometimes cooking. Cooking was pretty hard to do for me because my parents like their food a certain way so my aunt helps out with the cooking.  I had to give up a lot of activities that I used to do. I didn’t really mind. It helped me be a better person. I have more responsibility in my hands. My mom has been reacting very well with her chemotherapy. She wouldn’t get sick like other people do until her 3rd chemotherapy. She became emotionally stable. I wasn’t able to see her as often after her chemotherapy. She stayed in her room just lying there. When I would ask her why she doesn’t come out, she replied by saying it was because she felt so weak and helpless. Seeing my mom cry makes me feel weak and helpless because I still don’t know what to say or how to make her feel better.  I try not to cry in front of her because I don’t want her to worry but lately I, myself, have been depressed. This had a huge effect on me. I was hoping school will take my mind off this, but it didn’t make it any better.
 I have gotten panic attacks during class. I sleep less and less with each day that goes by. Lately I have only slept one hour a day. I can’t take naps in the afternoon like I used to; I just can’t sleep.  I have tried to distract myself with things but it doesn’t help much. I’m too stress out and worried. Recently I found out that my little brother Jason is also depressed. He may not say much or not show it, but I can tell just by looking at his eyes.  It is taking effect on everyone in the family. I feel life is extremely difficult at the moment.

Students shouldn’t take advantage of their parents; they should appreciate what they have. Sometimes something tragic has to happen in the family for them to realize what they have is good enough.

1 comment:

  1. Very good essay Jazmin! You gave thorough details and had few grammar and spelling errors. Thank you for sharing this story about your mother and the effect it has had on you because reading this can be very helpful to other students dealing with similiar situations.

    ReplyDelete