Thursday, June 16, 2011

First of the Month


Jazmin B.
English 12
Mr. Pierson     
08 June 2011
First Of The Month
What’s the worst first experience you’ve ever had? Well all get scared on our first experience. Not knowing what is going on or what goes on. In the short story “ First confession” by Frank O’ Connor, the author states that the first experiences aren’t as scary as others tend to put it. Jackie is a young boy who has to go to his first confession. Its not what we think it is or been told. We have our first initiation on random times and unexpectedly. It’s a step forward.
            My first initiation was an embarrassing first time. I really didn’t know what was going on. I freaked out, calling my friends to come take a look, but I was also kind of happy because maybe it will get me excused from cycle motor. I was in the restroom with my friends Ale, Jessica, and Verenice. We were hiding in there so we won’t end up doing cycle motor (P.E.). We hear the lady coming so we all pretend to use the restroom unfortunately i really had to go. The lady leaves and everyone comes out but me. When I am done using the restroom I see blood. I call my friends over to my stall to take a look.  They all look and ask me if I had hit myself or if I have a cut, I answered no. The lady walks back in and takes Verenice and Jessica away, Ale stays with me. She knew why I was bleeding that when she had told me that I gotten my first period.
            I didn’t know what that meant so she explained it to me on the way to the nurses office. As she is explaining it to me I’m scared to death just like in the quote “ I was scared to death of confession” said Jackie. I felt Jackie’s fear not knowing what’s going to happen. Once we are at the nurse’s office she tells the nurse  what happened. The nurse calls my mom and gives me something. I did not know what it was or how to use it. When I finally figure out the use of it I go back out. The nurse tells me I’m fine, it’s normal. I was lucky enough to be wearing red jeans that day. The funny thing was I did end up getting excused from cycle motor.
            When my friend was explaining the situation to me then I realized that I’m growing up. My body is developing without me knowing it. I have to act a bit more mature than before. Parents didn’t see me as a little kid no more they saw me as a young woman. Like Jackie says “ I knew then I was lost, given up to eternal justice”. I also, myself felt lost. I was confused and mortified. Once I had stopped bleeding I thought it was over. The next month I had a stain, nobody told me I get it every month. Maybe I misunderstood, but I learned that i get it every month for a week. I have to be careful and change every hour. As a 5th grader I found it as a lot of work. I couldn’t play with the boys anymore. I had to act more like a girl and less than a tomboy. That experience did change my life. Although I was never informed about young girls getting their periods it wasn’t that bad. At least it wasn’t something serious like I thought when I first saw the blood. I felt as if my body was developing at a young age. I had to worry about keeping track when all I wanted to do it worry free. It was a good experience that changed something about me.
            Jackie had his first initiation and it was his first confession. He was scared to death about confessing. My first initiation was getting my period for the first time. Both Jackie and I were scared and confused. I learned that I am growing up and that every girl gets it as well. Some girls get it earlier than others. People tell us their first experience or first time and try to make it seem scary. We all see our first expierence different than others. Every first expierence is scary but it’s worth it. It’s step forward showing us we are growing up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment