Thursday, June 7, 2012

college issues


Vanessa L                                                                      
Period 4
5/14/12

College issues

Each year teens face the reality of moving on and becoming an independent adult. They will end up going to college, getting a job, paying bills, and living on their own.  But in the end hard work and a good education will pay off everything you had went through. Study shows that male high school graduate earn 30,000 a year and females 24,000, then bachelor’s degree or higher male earn 50,000 and females 41,000 (Minnesota Office of higher education).

Even though there is a high pay in college graduate students it is still hard for any student in their first year of college and even before in succeeding through all years. An example, I was stressing out in the beginning when I was getting everything ready for college like applications, the college requirements, and my financial aid. At first I had gotten everything done but then it turned out that I had filled out my financial aid application incorrect. I had to go back and edit the application but ended up having to send in all documents. When revising my FAFSA the money that I was going to receive in the beginning ended up going down and knew that was going to affect my cal grant also. “More than half of the students at public and private four-year colleges are now graduating with debt, according to the College Board. The average per borrower at public colleges is $22,000; at private colleges it’s $28,10”(The Chronicles). Everything changed when I knew 8,600 wasn’t going to be enough money to go to my first choice CAL Poly Pomona.

Having problems with Cal Poly that I wanted to resolve didn’t work out because another problem will come up. In the beginning everything seemed ready but next thing I know all first time freshman had to dorm. I knew I wasn’t going to have enough money to dorm, pay tuition, books, gas, food, and my own expenses. Calling to find out if their was any other way I didn’t have to dorm was only the exception paper which the due date had already passed or you had to live around the area but had have graduated from one of the schools around there. In the end I am going to go to Cal State LA where all my friends are

The issues that I am having with Cal State LA as of now are them asking for paper work  but I already took care of that, I just need the summary of mow much money I am going to get from them and the list of classes that I am going to have to register for. Those two things I am having a problem with because we are already going to graduate.  Also the orientation doesn’t come up or if it has already passed or not.


2 comments:

  1. I really liked this article because it gave me a point of view on someone who is about ready to go on to the next level of education. Seeing the struggles that you went through opened up my eyes a bit on how to prepare for future references (being a junior and all). Overall, Good article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This article is really interesting side I am sure there are many cases similar in which preparing for college might turn out different because of the money situation. The important thing is not to get discourage=)

    ReplyDelete