Monday, June 18, 2012

The War of Love


Maria R.
Period 4
March 19, 2012

The War of Love








Love is the one thing that can not be prohibited by any law. You don’t need permission to love, its the one that will always remain the same no matter how many things change.
Who would give a law to lovers?  Love is unto itself a higher law”.
The quote says that love is greater than any law or any other thing in this world. It doesn’t matter who you choose to love, love is love and love between man and man or woman and woman is just like the one between a man and a woman.





To many artists in the Latin world and professional sports Elena Jimenez is known as the jewelry designer but to me and the rest of my family she is just my aunt. My aunt Elena was born on June 20, 1970 in Guadalajara, Jalisco.  She immigrated when she was three years old along with another aunt of mine that was two. My aunt had a normal childhood even though my grandmother was a single mother and she raised her kids with the help of her aunt Lupe who was seen like the second mother by aunt and my other aunts and uncles. Even though my aunt Elena was a girl she always liked hanging with the boys. She loved playing sports, dressing like a tomboy and she would bully my other aunts. To my aunts and uncles it was very obvious that she was a lesbian and she never denied it. Coming out to my grandmother was a difficult thing to do but my grandmother didn’t care because after all she was still her Elenita and nothing would change that. Her sexuality is something that I would never be ashamed of. I am proud to say that she is my aunt. Another thing that was obvious was that my aunt had a love for the finer things in life. She would save her whole paycheck just to buy one designer item. One time my mom and her were on their way to work and she looked at my mom from head to and started laughing and said, “my socks cost more than your whole outfit”.  My aunt started working in a jewelry store when she was 20. She loved it but the years went by and she wanted to design her own jewelry, she wanted her own business, and she wanted to be very successful. So she started her own business EJ Diamonds. She wanted to go big; she wanted to sell to celebrities. Her first client was Adrian Beltran who at that time was the MVP for the Los Angeles Dodgers and he also my aunt’s cousin husband. Beltran’s teammates liked my aunt’s designs and soon my aunt was starting to expand from pro baseball players to NFL players to Latin singers and actors. My aunt was making her dream come true she was given and award by the mayor of Los Angeles for being a Hispanic pride and was the designer for the People en Espanol: 50 Mas Bellos two years in a row. The fact that shes gay didn’t complicate things, in fact it made things better, because she can relate to both men and women. My aunt was happy, successful, and in love. My aunt had been dating her partner for a while now and she wanted to make it official. My aunt wanted to marry her but gay marriage wasn’t legal yet. During this time people were voting for Proposition 8. Proposition 8 eliminates right of same-sex couples to marry. This proposition was one of the many things people did to stop same-sex marriage, but they could be legally performed in California between June 16, 2008 and November 4, 2008 after which voters passed Prop 8. My aunt took advantage of that and got married in Sacramento. Many people have always stuck to “Marriage is between a man and a women”, and to them any other kind of marriage is wrong. Gay people have always been attacked weather it be in politics, religion, or in their personal lives. Either way they cant live the life they want but there are some people that even though they’re not gay they will fight for the rights of the gay community and because of that same-sex marriage licenses are granted in six states Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, and Vermont, plus Washington D.C. and Oregon’s Coquille and Washington state’s Suquamish Indian Tribes. The legalization of same-sex marriage has been achieved by court rulings and legislative action, but not through voter referendums. As of June 2011, 12 states prohibit same-sex marriage via statute and 29 via the state’s constitution. Although my aunt was in love and happy her had problems that were too big to be resolved. My aunts long business trips, time apart  and flirtatious women were starting to take a toll on my aunts wife. The constant fighting ended the happiness and started the misery. Although my aunts divorce has been a nightmare she lives her life to the fullest, proud of what she does and who she is.








Work Cited

"California Proposition 8." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 26 Mar. 2012. Web. 27 Mar. 2012. California_Proposition_8>.

"Same-sex Marriage in the United States." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 27 Mar 2012. Web. 27 Mar. 2012. Same-sex_marriage_in_the_United_States>.


  
 The Right to love
Their love will rise above it all, this love is strong and will not fall,
but what are they to do when they put laws,
laws that prohibit their happiness,
and leave them with emptiness,
 they say their love is very wrong,
and that God will come and burn them all,
Now here they come the “holy men”, condemning them to saints hell,
but love like this is very strong,
 and so they fight like men at war,
This is love is pure, a dream come true,
It feels so right, and so they’ll fight,
But the fight is hard, its like a war,
and those may say,
“Its not like war, because in war there’ll be lives lost”
But look around and watch the news,
your hate has spewed all over schools,
But some are strong, and wont give up,
They walk around holding hands, they show their love,
but never shame, because their love is like no other,
but it should thought of like every other,
but like its not, and never will,
So its up to them, to win the fight
But fight for what?
The right to love



No comments:

Post a Comment