Monday, June 4, 2012

Corruption in Mexico


Jorge G.
Period 4
June 4, 2012 


          My Grandfather was a very strict person. Especially with my aunts and uncles but when he joined the Mexican FBI. He was either in his early thirties or late twenties. One story my parents told me was that he was gone at times for weeks and later come back worth money, so we think he was corrupt. According to The LA Times “A study this year by Transparency Mexico found that Mexicans paid about $2.6 billion in bribes in 2007, or more than $24 each on average”(Ellingwood).  Many Mexican police and government officials have been bribed and made millions and just keeping their mouths shut. But bad things happen once you talk.
            One day my grandpa was driving on a road in his truck and did not notice that a car was following him. I guess that her pulled over and the man got close to him and shot him.  He was killed instantly. I asked my parents and my grandmother why they killed him but they are not sure. I personally think that because he was corrupt. He made some people angry, and they decided to kill him. According to the BBC “Mexico is suffering a wave of violence, mostly linked to the drugs trade. The 20 officers in the convoy in Jalisco were on patrol when they were attacked by gunmen in at least 10 sport utility vehicles, said a police statement. Nine officers were killed, while a 10th is still missing”(BBC).  Even today there are many police officers that are killed because they talk too much or they either try to stop drug trafficking.
            My grandfather was interesting because he was part of the corruption in Mexico just when it was beginning. To my family, and me he was a terrible man. My father remembers him as a drunk and bad dad to him and his entire family.
           
           
            

No comments:

Post a Comment